Sunday, June 12, 2011

Furby: Old toy that won't shut up.

Furbys. They are undoubtedly the most annoying thing on the planet. But is the popularity rising? What's going on with these old toys?
When it first came out, I thought this children's toy would be cool. I mean, it talks. It moves. It eats. Of course it was stupid, we all knew that. And I loved it. I collected until I had about eight of them. I had the kind of humor to put up with this chatterbox. And all across the country it was loved by children and despised by parents with children within the ages of 3 and 9. After a month, most people wondered, "Why did I buy my kid that piece of talking crap anyway?"
Since a few years ago, this little monster seems to have been selling less and less, but used Furbys were becoming test dummies more and more. Children that were eight are now thirteen, and those FrankenFurbys that were dug up in the dump are now being put in use.
"I was cleaning out my basement," says Katie, 12, "And I found that old thing I used to try and feed applesauce at dinnertime." Sure enough, there was the hamburger bun colored thing with pink hair that was once called Katie's Best Friend.
First, lets go back. What were Furbys being used for in the olden days? Of course, to PLAY with. They were EVERYONE'S toys. Everyone under 10, anyway. They were the Statue of Liberty of children. Katie says that her brother, Ryan, tried to freeze the Furby to scare her. He also poured water on it and unsuccessfully tried to shut it up. He was 4 years older than her, by the way. But here's the problem with them, they are like stinkbugs. They are, like, indestructible! And after 5 years or so here it is bursting with life and squawking... again. It was ugly enough that it even scared the dog away.
So, they are not indestructible. A popular Youtube show called, "Is it a good idea to microwave this?" run by Jory Caron says they had many comments asking them to microwave the Furby on their show. And they did. They put two Furbys in a microwave and set it to death. But sure enough as the door was closed you could hear the unmistakably annoying Furby voice chanting, "Me Scared!" If you don't believe me here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XOzpjuPGlE
Furbys are now being used more and more frequently to be blown up, set on fire, or burned by a firecracker. Some people even tie them to fireworks. Horrible idea, DO NOT TRY!!!

So, my recomendation: ABSOLUTELY NOT... if you are alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment